Thursday, September 10, 2009

Freedom is great, right?

Why do statists get angry when I advocate for more freedom?

If I was advocating a Democrat's agenda then you could get angry that I want to tax you for Welfare.
If I was advocating a Republican's agenda then you could get angry that I wanted to tax you for Warfare.

But, I advocate a Libertarian agenda. I am not trying to force you to do anything or take anything away from you. I just want to be left alone.

I mean, most Americans say the reason America is the best country in the history of mankind is because of our freedom. Our founders sought to, “secure the blessings of liberty.”

We proudly sing, "My country tis of thee, sweet land of liberty... Land of the free and home of the brave... I’m proud to be an American, where at least I know I’m free... with liberty and justice for all"

Then why do I have to justify to you why freedom is better than tyranny? Shouldn't the default policy decision in a free country be more liberty? Shouldn't you have to persuade me that tyranny is better than freedom?

Do we just believe that freedom is a nice idea, but it just isn't practical? That it just doesn't work in the real world? Freedom is great, but people are just too stupid to be free? Human beings are dumb beasts meant to be herded by their betters? Do we believe in a world of Slaves and Masters?

Didn't the fall of the Soviet Union show that political dictatorships and command economies don't work?

Wouldn't most people prefer to live in a free country? Free countries have to build walls to keep people out, while dictatorships have to build walls to keep people in.

No comments: